Sunday 19 October 2014

GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS



This one is my first gluten-free Muffin Sunday. Not only have I completely ignored the occasion for a billion Sundays in a row, but also, when I finally felt inspired to produce some muffin goodness, American airport security tried really hard to wreck the party. The story goes like this. I go on my daily mad shopping spree to Whole Foods Market in New York. I run to the flour section (<3). I lay my eyes on this pack of coconut flour. Pack of coconut flour goes in my suitcase when I fly back to London. Pack of coconut flour looks dangerously similar to pack of cocaine. Airport security get dangerously suspicious. Airport security open my suitcase. I collect an unlocked suitcase and fear for the safety of pack of coconut flour. Pack of coconut flour is actually fine and I can bake coconut flour muffins for Muffin Sunday.
So this overwhelmingly exciting story is to say that we should all be very grateful for this Muffin Sunday. And that you should just get coconut flour off the internet if you want to coconut-flour-muffin your life away. But all is well that ends well and I will now enjoy my muffins that almost never happened and they’re the best and you should too.




GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
with coconut flour


2 teaspoons egg-replacement powder
100ml (6 tablespoons) water
220g (1 cup + 2 tablespoons) soya yoghurt or other non-dairy yoghurt
120ml (1/2 cup) soya milk or other non-dairy milk
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
50g (1/2 cup) coconut flour
2 tablespoons cornflour
50g (1/4 cup) sugar
2 tablespoons chia seeds
2 teaspoons GF baking powder
75g (1/2 cup) dark chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F and line two muffin tins with muffin cases. In a big bowl, whisk together yoghurt, milk and vanilla extract until smooth. In a separate bowl, mix coconut flour, cornflour, sugar, chia seeds and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, pour in the egg-replacement mixture and mix well until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and mix until just incorporated. Spoon the batter evenly into each of the muffin cases, sprinkle some more chocolate chips on top if you like then place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the muffins comes out clean. Leave the muffins in their tins on a cooling rack for about 5 minutes before taking them out to cool completely, then devour.




No comments:

Post a Comment