Saturday 2 April 2016

SPECULOOS & ALMOND TABBOULEH



If I said I was expecting to get back to Bad City after my first session of extraordinary adventures with a master plan of some kind, I would be lying; and just as unsurprisingly my head is now sailing its way through a pretty lake of a million very volatile non-master plans, and the heel angle of this boat it is on doesn’t look safe one bit, and I wouldn’t stop shivering with terror if I tried; and in this sort of trans-boundary waters of being, here goes me splashing around a little (what else can you do), and fishing out this memory of colourful bowls of bulgur and spices, for me and my daddy under the fair African sky, then mixing it with picnics on top of a sunny hill in a land of shiny rivers or streams or creeks or heaven knows, then folding in some sweetness, with sticky dates from Middle Eastern stores right in the heart of South London, and Mexican vanilla, via Canada, and delicious Belgian biscuits and a sprinkle of toasted almonds from, now I know, a Beautiful Country. And as with most crazy things, the boat heels and heels and it will either tip over or get you to the shore safe and sound before dark; and with this one, I think I’ve passed my nautical test a hundred percent: ahoy sweet biscuity tabbouleh.




SPECULOOS & ALMOND TABBOULEH


150g (1 cup) bulgur wheat
600ml (2 ½ cups) apple juice
80g (1/3 cup) date sugar or unrefined sugar
90g (3.2 oz) speculoos biscuits
40g (1/4 cup) whole almonds
50g (1/2 cup) flaked almonds
100g (1 cup) dates


Cook bulgur in the apple juice and set aside to cool. Crush speculoos biscuits and mix them with the sugar in a bowl. Toast whole almonds in a pan over low heat, set aside then toast the flaked almonds. Next chop dates coarsely and add them to the biscuit mixture together with the toasted whole almonds. Fluff the bulgur up with a fork, then combine it with the rest of the ingredients, setting about half of the flaked almonds aside. Place in small bowls to serve and top with the remaining flaked almonds and extra speculoos crumbs if you like.




Ricetta in italiano:

Vegan

No comments:

Post a Comment