Friday 15 July 2016

CANDIED FRUIT BISCUITS



My perception of reality must have got packed by accident into a Wilson box last week, bubble-wrapped like my Vancouver mug, and my cake tins, and all the sugar sprinkles, as I woke up one morning to find myself in a tiny, sunny town by the foothills, with no going back. Until I get that delivered to me (after it's been taken to a very spontaneous trip to Venice; or Belarus, for what we know), I really won't have a clue on what to get used to first, whether it's the 30+ degrees or not being invisible or the nice food or cheap coffee; nor an alternative to being reverse-culture-shocked (why is the icing sugar sold in 100g envelopes only. Where's the imported Asian flour. Ooh look at the colourful candied peel), or making recipes up with random, yet pretty, and pretty delicious, baking ingredients. If I get my discernment back, I will let you know; either way, I have done great with the baking. The Italians approve.



CANDIED FRUIT BISCUITS


200g (1½ cups) plain flour
80g (1/3 cup) corn flour

1/8 teaspoon salt
80g (2/3 cup) icing sugar
150g (2/3 cup) margarine
1 teaspoon orange blossom water
1+ tablespoons water

70g (1/2 cup) candied lemon, lime & orange peel

Combine flours, salt and icing sugar in a mixing bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl cream the margarine and orange blossom water until light and fluffy. Add the flour mixture a bit at a time, mixing well after each addition. Next add as much water as you need, a tablespoon or so at a time, until the mixture comes together as a smooth dough. Lastly fold in the mixed candied fruit. Halve the dough and form two logs, wrap them in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
In the meantime preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Cut the logs of dough into slices about 1½ cm (1/2") thick and place them onto the prepared tray. Bake for 20 minutes or until pale golden brown at the edges, remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.






Ricetta in italiano:

Vegan

No comments:

Post a Comment