Saturday 30 July 2016

ORANGE & SAFFRON BUNDT CAKE



I could sing a month-long fado song about all that's been going on these days, and I would be even whinier and more catastrophic and melancholic than the Portuguese I swear; and it would probably be something about being all stitched up and plastered and not leaving the sofa and can I go back to massive book shops in former fabric factories and where do I develop my slide film and does it have to be so hot in this country and can I have my bread and my peaches now and am I in Japan yet; but instead of depressing the duck out of everyone I thought I could make good use of pretty Bundt cake tins from a country of sardines, swallows and sailors; and some fancy saffron and huge juicy oranges; for a cake that's free-from everything so even I can have it and spare you all the whining too.



ORANGE & SAFFRON BUNDT CAKE




320g (heaped 2½ cups) oat flour
80g (1/3 cup) unrefined sugar
250g (3/4 cup) rice syrup
75ml (1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon) coconut oil
juice and zest of 1 large orange
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon ground saffron


Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F) and lightly grease a small (20cm/8in) Bundt tin. In a large bowl, mix flour and sugar and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine rice syrup, coconut oil, orange juice and zest, vanilla and saffron. Pour into the flour and sugar mixture and mix until combined. Transfer the batter into your prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Transfer to a rack to cool slightly, then remove from the tin. Prick the surface of the cake with a skewer or fork, then pour some extra rice syrup onto it for an extra moist centre. Let cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment