Saturday 25 October 2014

RICE KRISPY SQUARES








































These days I sometimes like to pretend I’m still in America (how very sane of me) and I sit on my own sipping Egg Nog and reading Preacher and sprinkling pumpkin spice on anything I encounter, and I thought I’d make something America-related again. 
So this one day in Williamsburg I found a small little shop selling organic groceries and I got this vegan marshmallow rice krispy bar and I went a bit nuts. I'd never had marshmallow rice krispy treats before (how very European of me) and regular marshmallows have gelatine anyway, so a whole new world opened up for me. I know, I know it's only rice cereal and sticky chewy things but they're the best aren't they. So I've recreated them and as they only take a split second to make they will be my accompaniment of choice for my Egg Nog and my pumpkin-spice-everything and I'll be eating them when I read Preacher and you all should too.




RICE KRISPY SQUARES


55g (4 tablespoons) margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
280g (10 oz) vegan marshmallows
260g (6 cups) rice crisp cereals
40g (1/4 cup) sprinkles 

Lightly grease a cake/brownie tin and set aside. Place margarine, vanilla extract and salt in a large pan over low heat, stirring until the margarine is melted. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove pan from the heat and add in the cereals and about half the sprinkles, stirring until they're completely coated in the margarine mixture. Spoon into the prepared tin and press down evenly and firmly, sprinkle with the remaining sprinkles (ha) if you want to make them look like a five year old made them, which is obviously the look I'm always going for, then let cool. Cut into squares, eat and consider moving to Williamsburg and opening up a small little shop selling organic groceries and vegan marshmallow rice krispie bars for the joy of Italian tourists.


No comments:

Post a Comment